Monday, February 21, 2011

Decisions Decisions.....

Right now I am in a pickle!
I am having a very hard time deciding whether or not
to put Druw in Kindergarten, yes I know my baby is old enough to be a Kindergartner...  don't remind me too crazy to think about.. anyways we're on the fence as to whether we should enroll him and let him go this year or hold him back and put him in next year.
His Birthday is in July so he'd either be the oldest or the youngest in his class,
depending on which route we take.
Truthfully, up until now we have had our minds made up and it was without question, set in stone that we'd hole him back, but now I find myself questioning if that's what we really should do.
We have our reasons, our pros and cons for both but right now i'm stuck!
Here are just some of our pros for holding him back:
-For a boy we think a year older makes a huge difference in:
-Sports
-Maturity (Dating)
-Academics
 - Maybe he'd be more likely to get scholarships
-He wouldn't have a year to goof off after HS, so possibly more likely to go on a Mission
-Nate was is also a July birthday and he wasn't held back so he was the youngest in his class and he hated it for lots of reasons. (so you know where his mind is mostly made up)

Here are some reasons why we'd like him to go this year:
-He'd be in the same grade a 3 of his cousins
-He's right on target socially and developmentally to go, so we'd be afraid he'd get bored if we held him back.
-In HS he wouldn't drive/date til his Junior year rather than his Sophomore (so his buddies won't rely on him to drive them everywhere haha and dating, well that says it for itself :)
-He would be able to get a years worth of college in before (hopefully) he goes on his mission.
-I've talked to people who have been held back and they said they always felt "stupid" or something was wrong with them, and that's the last thing I want Druw feeling.

So like I said that's just to name a "few" of our pros and cons.

I know we probably are thinking too much into it and we should just go with the flow, because really a year ahead or a year behind, he's going to have his hard times and his ups and downs regardless.
As long as we teach him as best we can here in our home about values, principles, and right from wrong and most importantly that we love him that's really all we can do.  
we need to trust in him and be there for him 110 percent.

I would just like to hear any feedback from my fellow bloggers who have been in the same situation, or know someone who has been. I trust, value and will  apprecitate your thoughts and comments,
so please....tell me whatcha' think!!! :)
Thanks!



2 comments:

Jenny Richards said...

Ryker is one of the oldest in 1st grade (Sep. birthday). He was so ready to go to kindergarten a year early but I didn't do anything about it. He was pretty bored through most of kindergarten. I don't think I would have put him in early still I just wish Kindergarten was full day. Reagan in the youngest in kindergarten now. Her birthday is around the week that school starts. So she turned 5 I few days before she started school. At the beginning of the year she was struggling and I was worried about her. Then all of the sudden, she just got it. She is learning so much now. I realize that she is a girl and people think that girls are more ready than boys, but I don't believe that at all. YOU know your child and what he is ready for. As for your pros and cons, one stands out to me more than others. His cousins. If he is the same age as them there will come a time when he figures out that he could be in the same grade as them, and he will feel bad. And his cousins (although I would hope this never happens, but lets face it sometimes kids are mean) might make fun of him. Coming from someone you are related to would hurt worse than some other kid at school. Nate may have hated being the youngest in his class, but looking back now, did it really matter? You don't want your kids to be unhappy, but that is part of life. It is how we grow. After high school when real life starts age is just a number and no one will care if you were the youngest or oldest in your class. Maybe he will be able to use the year after high school to earn money for a mission and really get prepared, rather than just getting thrown into the mission field. As long as you are teaching him and helping him develop a testimony waiting a year to go on a mission shouldn't worry you.
I guess with all that rambling I am for sending him this year. The school sent that age for a reason. It is a good age to start. Sorry this is so long. I hope it made sense and you didn't get bored reading it.

ThE CaRr SuPeRsTaRs said...

You Rock Jenny!!! Thanks so much and really I couldn't agree with you more. Having a year to work/ college and the the cousin(s) thing really are the main reasons i'd like to send him now. Family is by far the most important thing to me and with how close we all are I know somewhere down the road he'd feel like an outcast, or dumb or whatever if he wasn't with the 'ones; he's always been with. I don't want him to question at all why we held him back. And really I just feel in my heart he is so ready to go. And I couldn't agree with you more on the whole age/grade after highschool really doesn't matter at all. Thanks for the comment... I REAAALLY appreciate it!